API Signs MOU with the Centre
The American Petroleum Institute (API) signed a landmark memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Centre in February 2021. The MOU establishes a framework for collaboration and using API’s best-in-class programmes to enhance health, safety, security, and environmental (HSSE) protection in Guyana’s energy sector.
Over the past two years, API and the Centre have worked closely together to identify training opportunities that support local business and workforce development for the O&G sector and builds the technical capacity of Guyanese firms to compete in the sector.
The primary purpose of this MOU is to formally enhance cooperation between API and the Centre on several fronts, including:
- Expand training and implementation of API Specifications Q1 and Q2, which are industry-leading quality management systems;
- Share information and expand training related to health, safety, security, and the environment;
- Develop specific API-U courses and instructor-led training for Guyanese companies;
- Implement the API Individual Certification Program in Guyana;
- Train local businesses on API’s 2D standard series, Training for Offshore Pedestal-Mounted Crane Riggers, Operators, and Inspectors; and
- Provide updates on regulations affecting the oil industry in Guyana.
This MOU will enable the Centre to better support local Guyanese companies and enables local firms to gain higher-level international technical certifications.